CHARLES EDWIN CRUMMEY, age 91, of Baxley, Ga., died peacefully in his sleep early Saturday morning, April 24, 2021. Mr. Crummey was born December 28, 1929, in Baxley, Ga., to the late Zella Crosby Crummey and the late Cephas T. Crummey. Before retiring he served a short time in the U.S. Air Force and was a brick mason by trade. Mr. Crummey began his ministry at Philippi Baptist Church in Baxley. The family moved to Jax, Fla., where Mr. Crummey built and was pastor of the Blanding Boulevard Baptist Church. He continued his ministry at West Madison Baptist Church, Madison W.Va., The People's Church and Roloff Enterprises Home for Men and Women in Corpus Christi, Texas, and built and was pastor of The Bible Baptist Church in Baxley, Ga. Also during his 57 years as a preacher, he was pastor of Ripley Baptist Church, Ripley, W.Va. Mr. Crummey worked for 4-H/UGA on Jekyll Island, Ga., along with his wife, Betty Crummey, until their retirement in 1997, when they moved to their home they built themselves in Baxley, Ga. He was a member of Satilla Baptist Church. Mr. Crummey dedicated almost his entire adult life to preaching the gospel and building churches. He loved woodwork, particularly making beautiful wooden bowls. He read the Bible through once every year and was a good and faithful servant to our Lord Jesus Christ. Mr. Crummey was a loving father, husband, grandfather, great-grandfather, brother, cousin, uncle, great uncle and great-great uncle. He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty Dedmon Crummey; sisters, Virginia Crummey Cooper, Elizabeth Crummey Scarborough, Pauline Crummey Baxley; and brothers, Doris Crummey and Grady Crummey. Survivors include his daughters, Janet Charlene McVey and Julie Dianne Swanson, and son-in-law, Henry X. Swanson, all of Baxley; brothers, Hollis (Jane) Crummey, Gerald (Helen) Crummey; sister, Barbara Ann (Dave) Arnold; and grandchildren, Ryan McVey, Dana Cooper (Jim) Kimple, Kevin (Marion) Swanson and Stephanie Harding. Eight great-grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were held Tuesday, April 27, 2021, at 1 p.m. in the Chapel of Swain Funeral Home. Interment was in Satilla Baptist Church Cemetery. Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Swain Funeral Home.
Thank you for Reading.
As a community service, our obituaries are always free to view. In order to better know our audience, we ask that you register to continuing viewing.
- Health system taking COVID-19 vaccine to coal miners
- W.Va. public schools seek to recover costs created by opioid crisis
- This week in West Virginia history
- Editorial: Infrastructure needs go beyond Biden plan
- Jim Ross: Let words mean what they are supposed to mean
- Dwight Williamson: Logan County can become 'great' again
- P-EBT extended to West Virginia children 6 and under
- Third allotment of ESSERF funding coming to Boone Co. Schools
- Traffic stop leads to drug charges for Kentucky woman
- Locally produced docuseries about West Virginia history set to air May 15
- Human remains recovered in Bricktown area of Nellis
- Former Whitesville pharmacy to pay civil monetary penalties
- NORMA R. WASSON
- DOUGLAS RAY COOK
- JIMMY LEE ROBINETTE
- WILSON ROY CRADDOCK JR.
- Taser deployed on man after alleged noncompliance
- As W.Va. drug overdose deaths increase, Huntington, Cabell County first in country to face distributors in courtroom
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.