BOONE COUNTY — A first-year head coach, a first-year offensive player and a returning team member lead the 2021 CVN All-Boone County Football Team.
The CVN Coach of the Year is Scott High’s Jeremy Dolin. The first-year skipper led a turnaround from a two-win season in 2020 to a seven-win campaign in 2021 coupled with the school’s first Class AA playoff berth in seven years.
“I’m humbled to have been selected, but I’m surrounded by some good men with many years of coaching experience, and we have tremendous assistant coaches in our program,” Dolin said. “This is absolutely a team award and we are proud of the strides we made this year and the work started in December, and we’ll keep working hard to take the next step for our program. I really want to thank everyone who supported Skyhawk football this season. You really made everything possible for the kids.”
The CVN Offensive Player of the Year is Scott High senior Landon Stone. Stone, a standout basketball player for the Skyhawks, was playing his first year of football for the school and was among the Cardinal Conference leaders in multiple offensive categories.
Leading Scott with 12 TDs, Stone had a knack for the big play, and his numbers show him as a threat running and catching.
The senior had 22 catches for 507 yards good for a whopping 23.05 average per-catch. He scored five touchdowns via the air with his longest being 78 yards. He rushed 103 times for 620 yards, good for a 6.2 average per carry while scoring six TDs on the ground. Stone contributed 61 tackles and four sacks in 2021, which were not considered for his offensive award.
“No new player made more of an impact on our team than Landon,” added Dolin. “His ability to do multiple things and play multiple positions was a luxury to have.”
For the CVN Defensive Player of the Year award, Van’s Isiah Perdue led the state across all classes with 13 sacks while notching 11 hurries. He recorded 96 tackles from his defensive line position, 16 of them for a loss on the year, while also playing on the offensive side of the ball.
“Perdue is a gamer,” said Van Coach Mark Agosti. “He has a motor that don’t stop and he has a natural instinct to find the ball. He’s a great kid on and off the field and is very coachable and a great team player. He never complains and often plays hurt because he doesn’t complain. He’s an incredible teammate and leader on our team. He’s very deserving.”
The team is sponsored by Handley Funeral Home of Danville, who provides plaques for the tree award winners.
For player selections, a combination of statistical data, interviews with county and opposing coaches for each school determine the roster. The Coach of the Year was determined through overall team record, improvement and success.
2021 CVN All Boone County Football Team Offense
- Quarterback: Matt Frye — Sophomore/Scott
- Running back: Cooper Martin — Senior/Scott
- Running back: C.J. Winnell — Senior\Sherman
- Wide receiver: Landon Stone — Senior/Scott
- Wide receiver: Jayden Sharps — Junior/Scott
- Wide receiver: Colby Buzzard — Senior/Sherman
- Offensive lineman: Weston Gunnoe : Junior/Van
- Offensive lineman: Triston Clemons — Senior/Sherman
- Offensive lineman: Will Elkins : Senior/Scott
- Offensive lineman: Brayden Queen — sophomore/Scott
- Offensive lineman: Seth Ward — Senior/Sherman
- Utility: T.J. Hager — Junior/Sherman
- Utility: Brady Green : Junior/Van
- Defensive lineman: Brad Craze — Senior/Sherman
- Defensive lineman: Gavin Sutphin : Senior/Scott
- Defensive lineman: Isiah Perdue — Senior/Van
- Defensive lineman: Cody Nantz — Senior/Scott
- Linebacker: Isiah Brown — Junior/Scott
- Linebacker: Daniel “Bubba” Green — Senior/Sherman
- Linebacker: Guner Flores — Freshman/Van
- Linebacker: Ridge Flores — Junior/Van
- Defensive back: Carson Brinegar — Freshman/Scott
- Defensive back: Dalton Rollo — Senior/Sherman
- Defensive back: Kevin Neal — Senior/Scott
- Utility: Byron Stewart — Junior/Van
- Utility: Shaun Booth — Junior/Van
- Punter: Shaun Booth — Junior /Van
- Kicker: Isaac Setser — Junior/Scott
- Coach of the Year: Jeremy Dolin/Scott
- Offensive Player of the Year: Landon Stone/Scott
- Defensive Player of the Year: Isaiah Perdue/Van