Essential reporting in volatile times.

Click here to stay informed and subscribe to the Coal Valley News.

Click #isupportlocal for more information on supporting our local journalists.


The Scott High Boys Soccer team in action on Sept. 10.

MADISON — After experiencing a 4-4 tie against Woodrow Wilson High School two nights prior, Scott High School boys’ soccer players (2-1-0) entered their match against Shady Spring High School (0-2) last Thursday with winning on their minds. What transpired was a 10-goal match that saw a variety of Skyhawks contributing to a 10-0 scoreline.

Nearly seven minutes into the contest, sophomore Isaac Setser opened up scoring with an assist from senior Chase Jackson. Senior Harrison Parsons delivered the next assist, with senior Lucas Older finding the back of the net for the 2-0 goal at 26:01.

Under two minutes later, senior Carson Asbury received a through ball and used his speed to challenge the Tigers’ goalkeeper and convert for 3-0. Chase Jackson earned a goal to complement his earlier assist with a deflection off a pass. Gillispie provided the assist.

Not long after, senior Ty McClung intercepted the ball and made a run to the goal, bringing the lead to 5-0 with a well-placed shot. The final goal of the first half came with 9:14 to go, when senior Jeffrey McCoy passed through to Older, who nabbed his second goal of the game and gave Scott a 6-0 advantage before the break.

The second half opened up with a hat trick achieved by Lucas Older, who challenged the goal with Carson Asbury. Asbury handled the ball well, facilitating it to Older, followed by the latter scoring his third — all in the first minute of play. The second half was much quieter than the first, with Scott making changes to keep players rested.

It was not until the clock had just over 15 minutes left that a throw-in to senior Evan Constant saw him dribble the ball in, pass it to Asbury, and get the assist on his fellow senior’s brace.

Five minutes later, Scott earned a corner taken by Jeff McCoy. His kick to the penalty area was received by junior Nate Smith, who dazzled the home crowd with a flying header, which sent the ball past the GK and made the game 9-0.

Junior Wade Setser scored the game’s final goal, a one-touch shot assisted by Evan Constant.

The 10-0 score is the largest win Scott has enjoyed in these first weeks of play, and the result of extensive practice in finishing from Head Coach Zach Boyd.

Boyd spoke about the team’s earlier offensive trouble, adding that the boys have been progressing since the season opener. The finishing and passing drills made an impact on the team in this game and would be put to the test again versus Fairmont Senior that Saturday. Passing in particular has been helpful for players in the middle and back of the field.

“[Midfielders] and defenders, they’ve got to be able to play the ball sharp,” Boyd said. “These guys are really starting to buy into the ‘team first’ concept.”

While communication has improved, the coach notes that the Skyhawks must continue to get better and learn how to create and capitalize on opportunities together.

Lucas Older led the team in goals with 3, followed by Carson Asbury with 2. Ian Gillispie, Jeff McCoy, and Evan Constant led in assists with 2 each. Constant also led the team in steals with 4, with Gillispie and senior Tanner Hale right behind him with 3.

Scott (3-1-0) was scheduled to visit Nitro on Sept. 17, but will not be able to compete this week because of the county’s orange COVID-19 designation.